Lou Wall’s Drag Race is the vivacious variety show that smashes the gender binary when it comes to drag, snatching wigs (and hearts) with its message of inclusivity, unapologetic queerness and straight up fierceness. Griffin asked Lou Wall to spill the tea on the show before it sashays up to the Stables!
1. Introduce yourself with a fun fact that someone might not know about you!
Heyyyy, what’s up, I’m Lou Wall, a Melbourne-based comedian, actor and Drag Queen! When I found out that my name rhymed with RuPaul I immediately decided I had to make a spin-off show, and thus Lou Wall’s Drag Race was born.
2. Paint us a picture of your show in 5 words.
Might be better than RuPaul’s.
3. What was the inspiration behind the creation of Lou Wall’s Drag Race?
We were fed up with the unequal gender representation in mainstream drag à la RuPaul’s Drag Race. We felt a burning need to showcase female-identifying, trans and non-binary drag artists. We wanted to prove that you don’t have to be a man to be a drag queen.
4. What are you most looking forward to about bringing your show to Batch Festival 2019 at Griffin?
We are all from Melbourne so tbh we are most excited to see the Harbour Bridge.
5. Which other shows are you hoping to catch at Batch?