The Feather in the Web requires a cake on stage every night. And with a cast that has a few varied dietary requirements, providing one isn’t as easy as it seems! Luckily for Griffin, superstar producer Nicole LaBianca has a killer polenta cake recipe that is gluten free, dairy free, nut free, and certified delicious!
Every few days, Sam the Stage Manager bakes this cake for the show. And now, you too can bake it at home, and immerse yourself deeper in the deliciousness of The Feather in the Web. Have a read of the excerpt that inspired the cake, and a gander at the recipe below.
WOMAN 1: A ‘go you’ cake. I like that.
WOMAN 2: Me too.
WOMAN 1: And I’m not exactly going to pass up another cheeky slice of cake!
WOMAN 2: Or two!
WOMAN 1: Or three!
(They laugh. WOMAN 2 cuts two slices and they eat.)
WOMAN 1: Mmm, that’s lovely and moist.
WOMAN 2: Polenta.
(From The Feather in the Web, by Nick Coyle.)
Lemon Polenta Cake – gluten free, nut free, dairy free
This recipes makes 1 cake or 2 small/medium sized cakes in round cake tins
250g Nuttelex, at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cup gluten free self-raising flour
1 cup fine polenta
2 teaspoons baking powder
Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line round baking tins with baking paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated.
- Whisk in the lemon juice.
- Whisk in the flour, polenta and baking powder.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until a skewer to the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- You can also top the cake with a slice of lemon during cooking if you wish.
- Allow to cool fully before removing from the tin.